Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Point. Set. Match... Maybe.

I should have realized when I picked this pattern that it has so many bulky points!  Added bonus - anything I did wrong with the small pieces is compounded as I use them in the larger blocks I've created.  I can see I improved as I went along; the chevron pieces are giving me the most problems.  On the plus side - the X blocks went together quite nicely.

The second block in Celtic Solstice is supposed to be diamond-shape. I've seen several quilts where chevrons were pointed in, so the blocks appeared star-shaped.  There's a part of me that wanted to follow the pattern like I'm supposed to, but Mom likes the stars with these colors.  I have to agree.  So star-shaped it is!  As it turns out, I accidentally ironed the seams on the pinwheel block backwards, but since my chevrons are going the other way all the seams line up nicely.  Whew! 

I worked so hard to match everything; some points lined up better than others.  At least I was consistent - if points didn't match up on one block, none of them were likely to align.  I was kind of bummed at my misalignments - until I took a close look at some of the beautiful Celtic Solstice quilts people have made.  Ooh... look at that skewed pinwheel.  That one's triangle squares don't line up with the other block.  Yet, they're all marvelous.  Suddenly I'm a lot more confident that my quilt will look great, too.  I've just been too close - I need to step back.

I accomplished my goal of finishing the X blocks this weekend.  It took me an extra day or two to finish the star blocks.  They were hard work; I stopped when I got fatigued so I wouldn't make mistakes.  I'm piecing the blocks together now and should be done by the end of the week.  Next I'll add the first border and figure out what I'm doing for a second border!

Sharing with
Freemotion by the River: Linky Tuesday
Sew Fresh Quilts:  Let's Bee Social
My Quilt Infatuation:  Needle and Thread Thursday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict:  Can I get a Whoop Whoop?


8 comments :

  1. Hi Sally,
    We are way too critical of our own work. Who expects perfection in us as mere mortals?! I always think that is special fun for some, to find my errors. Look at all my quilts and pieces closely and I am 100% you will find something to nitpick about. I think they are all lovely, by the way. I am looking forward to seeing the first border on! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are nice blocks with all those pieces per block. I like the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it will look wonderful when you are done. Sometimes when making the blocks we are just so close up to them that every thing sticks out like a sore thumb. But when it is all quilted and bound you will stand back and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your striving for perfection - and your tenacity! But I do think we always see the flaws in our own work and not so much in the work of others. Glad you thought to take a good look at other examples of the same quilt to see the overall effect compared to the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo - I love your colors! This is going to be Gorgeous! The chevrons would be tricky for me, too, but those corner patches would give me the hardest time. Look forward to seeing this assembled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks look great! I'm not a perfectionist so being a little off doesn't bother me.....too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great. If you can't see the mistakes from a galloping horse at 50 yards it doesn't count anyway, does it? (At least that's what I was told!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your colors are gorgeous. Yahoo for making your goal in finishing the X blocks, it is always a great feeling when you accomplish a goal. Good luck on your goal for this week!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************